Wednesday 22 July 2015

REVIEW & SWATCHES: Too Faced Cocoa Contour

ITEM: Too Faced Cocoa Contour (U.S. Link HERE)
PRICE: $52AUD (Price at MECCA. U.S. Price $40USD)


I snagged this baby on the day that it released in Australia at MECCA Maxima just to make sure that I had my hands on it ASAP and was able to test it out. I have now used it for a few weeks and feel confident in being able to give a good thorough and honest review on it. I know it's been out in the U.S. for a while but I think that it's new enough that not everyone would have purchased it yet.

So read this review to find out my thoughts, and use this to help determine whether or not you should purchase it yourself!

So I am going to start with the obvious. The smell is delectable. It smells the exact same as the Chocolate Soleil Bronzers (duh!). This is obviously a HUGE plus for me - I am an extremely scent oriented person.

However, I know this isn't as important to other people so let's get straight into the product. The product comes with two contour shades (Medium Cocoa & Dark Cocoa) and two highlight shades (Light Cocoa & Pop of Light). The contour shades are both matte and so is Light Cocoa. However, Pop of Light is a bone shade with gold glitter flecks through it. I will say straight off the bat - I do not like Pop of Light. As you will see in the swatches below, the glitter flecks are extremely visible, it's distinct from the actual shade of the powder, and strangely, it separates from the powder really easily (and it just flies around everywhere).

Other than Pop of Light though, I am really impressed by this palette. The formula of the matte shades are comparable to the Chocolate Soleil Bronzers. However, I actually think that the shades in this kit are ever so slightly more creamy than those. Regardless, these are buttery and creamy, super pigmented, very easy to blend, great shades for my light-medium skin, and does not kick up any excess powder (or does so extremely minimally). So overall the product itself (well, the matte products themselves), are really really really good. I honestly don't see any fault in them. The formula is on point and the amazing smell of them is just an added bonus.

One thing I began to question as I was using this was - Do I need this contour palette if I already own the "Medium-Dark" and "Tan-Deep" Chocolate Soleil Bronzers? Aren't they exactly the same thing?. For that purpose, I decided to do a side-by-side comparison of the colours.
Bottom: Tan-Deep Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
Right: Medium-Dark Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
As you can see, the Chocolate Soleil Bronzers are both warmer in tone. This is even more obvious on your face. I think this is appropriate because cooler and more "ashy" tones are better suited for contouring, whilst the warmer tones are better suited for bronzing.

So I have so far only raved about the product but here are few of the cons that I have identified with it. Firstly, as I already mentioned, I do not like the shade Pop of Light. There is nothing really positive about it. The glitter is chunky and obvious. It doesn't stick to the skin, much rather, it flies around everywhere. It's not a natural colour, and it most definitely is not a colour which blends with the colour of the powder - it's starkly palpable.

Secondly, as with all contour palettes that only have one option, I will point out that this is not suitable for all skin tones and colours. Although those with pale skin could probably pull this off with a light hand, those with deep skin tones will not benefit from this palette. It's always the downfall with palettes that come in one shade.

Thirdly, the packaging is somewhat bulky. I love that it comes with a mirror and brush. However, the brush isn't the best quality. (Yes, it is better quality than most brushes that come in kits. However I just don't see myself reaching for it all that much). So I don't really understand why the packaging had to be so fat. I love the colours and such - it's pretty. But, it's fat.

Other than those things, I actually love this palette. One key benefit being that I use 3 out of 4 shades (and the 4th I am thinking of trying as an eyeshadow). So, I really am not getting too much wastage from this. (Unlike the Kat Von D Palette which I reviewed. LINK IS HERE). I find this a strength in the product.

Moving on, these are the swatches of the palette on my arm.
Left to Right:
Light Cocoa - Pop of Light - Medium Cocoa - Dark Cocoa
Another photo so you can see the glittery bits everywhere on Pop of Light
Left to Right
Light Cocoa - Pop of Light - Medium Cocoa - Dark Cocoa
Overall: I really love love love the formula of the matte shades. I am quite disappointed with the Pop of Light. But overall, the fact that I am unlikely to waste too much of the products that I am paying for, I can live with that. There is very little to fault about the product for my skin. However, it's not the best size for travel and doesn't cater to all skin tones/colours. 

Rating: 8.5/10 


2 comments:

  1. wow the shades are really deep and pigmented! although i really shouldn't be buying anymore contour kits! DF xox


    www.doaner-fide.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I cannot resist foundations & contour kits! I definitely think you should go for it though ;) haha it's gorgeous.

      Delete